3月9日

Yatsushiro, Japan. 

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't remember Yatsushiro.  With Kumamon paraphernalia, school posters, and letters decorating my room, songs on my phone/laptop that have already become associated with my time there, and the memories that I carry with me wherever I go, how can I ever forget?

It's March 9th today.  The name of one of the songs from Remioromen. It's a graduation song.



Soon, my 3rd year Junior High School students will be graduating.  I remember. When I first taught them when they were in grade 6, three and a half years ago.  I saw these children grow into the teenagers they are today.  I loved the energy and joy that these students had.  They'll soon enter high school, beyond the realm of whatever influence I may have had.

Soon, my grade sixes will graduate.  I remember.  When I told a particular class that I would be leaving them for good that summer.  How some of the students cried, how one student told me that she thought I was going to be with them through to graduation, how she wanted me to be there for her graduation.

Soon, my little third-year kindergarten students will graduate from their comforting schools where holding on to teachers is the norm, to big-kid school where they will learn to take care of themselves little by little. I remember.  When all I had to say was "Good morning!" and that would send them all off into a fit of continuous jumps and giggles.

It's been just over 6 months since I left. Those feelings of missing my students, fellow teachers, friends, schools, and my life in Yatsushiro sometimes wanes, and fades a little into the background.   But other times, those feelings creep up, developing into an explosion of emotion.  Now, is one of those times.  Wishing I could have known in some way how to more effectively work in my schools, wishing I could have spent more quality time with my students and how to keep in touch with them, and simply just missing being with them.

But, I know that I should fight these feelings of not being good enough, that I could have or should done more, that perhaps some of this is selfish.  That I should be grateful for being a part of the lives that I was a part of, even if it was short.  I am very fortunate to have experienced such wonderful moments of joy with these students.

I remember.  The voices that called me, the hands that held me, the faces that smiled at me, and the hearts that warmed me.

八代、日本。

八代のことを思い出さない日はない。くまモングーズ、学校のポスター、部屋を飾った手紙、携帯やラップトップの曲などがもう八代に住んでいた時のゆかりになっていて、どこに行っても思い出される.どうやって忘れられるの?

今日は3月9日だ。 レミオロメンの一つの曲の名前。卒業歌。

もうすぐ、中学3年生が卒業する。思い出す。3年半前、彼らは6年生で、最初に教えてた時。小学校の子供から今日のティーンエージャーまで成長を見た。彼らのエネルギと元気さが大好きだった。もうすぐ、高校に入って、私が影響できることの範囲を超える。

もうすぐ、6年生が卒業する。思い出す。私が夏に帰国することを一つのクラスに言った時。何人かが泣いて、一人の女の子が私と卒業するまでいると思ってて、学校で一緒にいてほしいって。

もうすぐ、年長さんたちが卒業する。先生が抱っこするのが普通の幼稚園からちょとずつ自ら自分自身を面倒見る大きいな子供の学校に卒業する。思い出す。「Good Morning] を言いさえすればで、子供達が飛んだりして、くすくす笑って。

離れて半年ぐらいたった。生徒、先生、友達、学校、と八代の生活を恋しい感じが減りつつある。でも、たまにその気持ちがドンドン大きくなって、感傷が爆発するのを感じることがある。 今、その時だ。学校でもっと効果的に仕事し、生徒とより良い時間をもっと過ごして、生徒と連絡する方法を知るべきであった。ただ、離れて寂しい。

でも、自分がもの足りない感じ、その時もっとするべきだったことの感じと戦うべきであったことを私は知っている。この気持ちがわがままかも。彼らの短い瞬間でも、会えたことを感謝すべきことを。私は、この生徒たちと素晴らしいな瞬間を一緒に経験したこと幸運でした。

思い出す。私を呼んだ声、私の手を握った手、私に微笑んだ顔、私を暖たためてくれた心を。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ikimono Gakari - Kirari English Lyrics Translation / いきものがかり - キラリ 歌詞 英訳

最後の運動会+今年の最初のEnglish Club! / My last sports festival + the first English club of the (school) year!

Exile - Everything Translation 歌詞 英訳