South East Asia - experiencing Ramadan and Hari Raya here for the first time

This is the first time I'm spending Ramadan, and insyallah, Eid, in South East Asia/ a place where there are lots of other Muslims too ^^ I remember being the only Muslim kid in my class at elementary school, fasting, or the one whose mom made her a halal hot dog for hot dog day. So far, I've spent previous Ramadans and Eid in Vancouver, Korea, and Japan, alhamdulillah. Although it was sometimes difficult to find comfortable places to do my daily prayers in those locations, as Muslims are a minority there, there was usually a very strong bond among fellow Muslims. Mosques became like second-homes to me in all of those places - a place to comfortably do my prayers, meet fellow Muslims, find friends, and be a part of the local community. Especially during Ramadan, I would go to just one Mosque (more so in the case of Korea and Japan.. as the Mosque I went to was the only Mosque in the area), finding friendship and connection there. I miss the times I spent at Seoul Mosque and Kumamoto Mosque, and the feeling that most or all people there were my friends or at least familiar faces a part of our shared community. I remember last year's Ramadan, my last Ramadan as a JET in Kumamoto, and spending some of the last nights of Ramadan with a small number of other sisters at the Mosque, praying and reading Quran together.
Here in Malaysia, I've been praying at different Mosques, so I haven't had that feeling of a close, small community - which of course, is also because I'm only here for a short time. However, it's comfortable living here - the malls have prayer rooms, there are many Mosques and suraus (prayer places) around, and most things are halal ^^ . It's kind of funny how at some of the malls in the suburbs here the restaurants and food places are basically empty...up until about an hour or so before iftar, where all the Muslims come out cuz they are hungry! haha. If you come to a food place at iftar .. good luck to you on finding a seat :p . Although I also use my phone to check the time when I can break my fast, I can also just look around if I'm at a restaurant...everyone has their food ready, not eating ... and then people start breaking their fasts.. woo, then it's time for me to break my fast too! haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ikimono Gakari - Kirari English Lyrics Translation / いきものがかり - キラリ 歌詞 英訳

最後の運動会+今年の最初のEnglish Club! / My last sports festival + the first English club of the (school) year!

Exile - Everything Translation 歌詞 英訳